Logo Header

News & Advice

Do I Need A W9 If I Own A Business?

Do I Need A W9 If I Own A Business?

The Form W-9 is typically used in the United States by businesses to request the taxpayer identification number (TIN) and other information from individuals or entities they engage in certain transactions with. The primary purpose of the W-9 is to collect information necessary for reporting payments made to the IRS, such as payments for services performed by independent contractors.

As a business owner, you will not typically need to provide a W-9 for your own business. Instead, you may be asked to provide a W-9 when you, as the business, are the service provider, and another entity is making payments to your business for services rendered.

Here’s a breakdown of the common scenarios:

  1. Your Business Receives Payments:
    • If your business is receiving payments for services, and you are an independent contractor or a vendor providing services to another business, the paying entity may request that you fill out a W-9. This is to collect your business’s TIN, legal name, and other information for tax reporting purposes.
  2. Your Business Makes Payments:
    • If your business is making payments to other businesses or individuals for services and you are required to report these payments to the IRS (e.g., payments to independent contractors), you may request a W-9 from the payee. This helps you gather the necessary information for accurate reporting and compliance with tax regulations.
  3. Sole Proprietors and Single-Member LLCs:
    • If you are a sole proprietor or the sole member of a single-member LLC, you may provide your own personal information on contracts and tax-related forms, as your business income is generally reported on your individual tax return.
  4. Multiple-Member LLCs and Corporations:
    • For multi-member LLCs and corporations, the business’s information, including its EIN (Employer Identification Number), is typically used for tax reporting purposes.

While the W-9 is a common form for collecting taxpayer information, other tax-related forms may be applicable in different contexts. For example, businesses may provide Form W-4 to employees for income tax withholding purposes.

If you are uncertain about which forms to provide or request, or if you have specific tax-related questions related to your business, it’s advisable to consult with a tax professional or accountant. They can provide guidance based on your specific business structure and activities.