Logo Header

News & Advice


How Do I Pay Taxes If I Start My Own Business?

When you start your own business, you’ll need to understand and fulfill your tax obligations.

Here’s a basic guide on how to pay taxes when starting your own business…

  1. Choose a Business Structure – The structure of your business (e.g., sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, corporation) affects how you report and pay taxes. Each structure has different tax implications, so it’s essential to choose the one that best fits your business goals and tax situation.
  2. Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) – Most businesses need an EIN, also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, from the IRS. You can apply for an EIN online through the IRS website.
  3. Register with State and Local Authorities – Depending on your location and business activities, you may need to register with state and local authorities for tax purposes. This might include sales tax, payroll tax, or other business taxes.
  4. Understand Your Tax Obligations – Familiarize yourself with the taxes your business may be subject to, such as income tax, self-employment tax, sales tax, and payroll taxes. Understand the filing requirements and deadlines for each type of tax.
  5. Keep Accurate Records – Maintain detailed records of your business income, expenses, and transactions. Good record-keeping is essential for accurate tax reporting and can help you claim deductions and credits to minimize your tax liability.
  6. Set Aside Funds for Taxes – As a self-employed individual or business owner, you’re responsible for paying taxes on your business income. Unlike employees who have taxes withheld from their paychecks, you may need to make estimated tax payments quarterly to cover your federal and state income tax liabilities.
  7. File Your Tax Returns – Depending on your business structure, you’ll need to file different tax returns. For example:
    • Sole proprietors report business income and expenses on Schedule C (Form 1040) and include it with their personal tax return.
    • Partnerships file Form 1065, and the individual partners report their share of income on their personal tax returns.
    • Corporations file a corporate tax return (Form 1120 or 1120S for S corporations).
    • LLCs typically follow the tax treatment of their chosen entity type (e.g., sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation).
  8. Consider Hiring a Tax Professional – Tax laws can be complex, especially for business owners. Consider hiring a tax professional or accountant who can provide guidance, ensure compliance, and help you maximize tax savings.
  9. Stay Informed – Tax laws and regulations may change, so it’s essential to stay informed about any updates that may affect your business tax obligations. The IRS website and other reputable sources can provide valuable information and resources.

By understanding and fulfilling your tax obligations, you can avoid potential penalties and ensure the financial health of your business. If you’re unsure about any aspect of business taxation, consult with a tax professional or accountant for personalized guidance.